Wednesday 6 July 2011

Chapter One - The Moon is leaving.

           
One night the Moon rose high above the North Pole, looked down on the Earth and sighed deeply.
          "Oh dear," she said softly to herself, "I've circled the Earth for over four and a half billion years and it used to be such fun; I liked watching the volcanoes explode, pushing up mountain ranges and forming huge continents. I was particularly fond of the dinosaurs who once roamed the surface. 
I loved the giant green forests that covered the land and when the seas turned blue and began to grow to such a size that I could make them dance, I was so very happy."
          The Moon sighed again.
"But lately, the seas have been turning black, the forests are shrinking and generally the Earth has been getting dirty, very hot and rather smelly, not to mention the constant noise of all those satellites buzzing around. It's making me feel quite dizzy, in fact, I can feel one of my migraines coming on right now. 
      I'm just going to have to find somewhere else to live. I mean, there's a whole universe out there just waiting to be explored."
          "I'll be very sad to see you go," said the Earth, who had been listening all the time, "But I suppose you're old enough to make your own decisions. If you've really made up your mind then I won't try and stop you."
          Reluctantly she handed the Moon a small bundle of provisions to help sustain her on her travels. "Take care of yourself and promise me that you'll keep in touch.”
          "Of course I will," replied the Moon, who was both embarrassed that she had been overheard and relieved that the Earth wasn't angry with her.
          "Right then, that settles it. I'll be going," said the Moon and with that, she turned around and went on her way.
          The Earth watched as the Moon shrank into the distance and disappeared amongst the millions of stars that studded the blackness. 
      She cried salt water tears at her loss, causing the oceans to rise even further and then immediately stand still, for there was no longer a Moon to move them.
          "Oh dear," said the Earth, “The astronomers aren't going to be happy about this, not to mention the sailors, fishermen, and all manner of scientist.

No comments:

Post a Comment